Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Raising Creative Kids/ Part One: How I Keep the Boys Occupied.




As somewhat of an anxious person, I get a kick out of hearing someone else say that I come off as calm or "cool and collected" or any other variation of that. I definitely am not that way all the time. However, after being complimented in such a fashion by another mom recently, it led me to the idea for this post. She also had sweet things to say about how I seem to be good at keeping the kids occupied and finding new activities for us to explore. So, I thought I'd write a little on my methods and feelings on the matter.

Today, I'll talk a little about arts and crafts, because we do A LOT of that sort of thing over here.

First, let me tell you that a year or so ago I was at this sort of mom's group with a speaker who had us write down the three most important things we wanted to impart to our children. The one I remember writing down and feeling most strongly about was CREATIVITY, which no other mom in the room wrote. I absolutely strive to try and make sure my kids are creative, quick-thinking, and adaptable. I feel like all those traits go hand in hand and will set them up for success later in life as well as help them develop sense of self and individuality.

In order to raise creative kids though, you have to let go of the need to control the outcome of the project. If, for example, you are using finger paint with your children and you keep asking them NOT to mix colors, it's just going to frustrate them and make them apprehensive to try new things. Let them mix all the colors into brown. Really. I promise one day they will understand primary and secondary colors and mixing will be more in line with the way adults view is proper.

You also need to let them make a mess. This is really hard for some moms. I stay at home all day and since I really love watching them make stuff, I tolerate a certain amount of mess. This doesn't mean I don't take precautions, however. I only buy the Crayola Waterproof markers (successfully wipes off of my wood chairs and any other surface under the sun). Mommy takes the caps off all markers and hides them before Otto uses them (choking hazard). We put down blankets or towels for (supervised) water play. Art supplies stay at the table. Crayons and any other art supplies do not come out after dinner (that is to prevent resistance to the transition to bedtime & also by that point in the day I've picked up crayons/cleaned the table off of projects at least 2-3 times). Etcetera. There are different boundaries that can be set in this area according to your own wishes and family needs.

I don't plan an actual craft every day.

I will print coloring sheets off of Pinterest (you can find tons of free ones) a few times a week when Orion asks. It's great because he will ask for a coloring page of one of his current interests and I am able to find them no problem, from dinosaurs to Spiderman. I also have a Pinterest board of activities I have pinned to try with the kids.

I always keep stickers on hand. Even Otto loves to stick stickers on a piece of paper and it's a good quiet activity. Stickers are really cheap if you just look for the $1 sticker books that are seasonally available at Target and Mejier. I will splurge and buy more expensive stickers from time to time, especially the foam ones that are appealing in texture and ease to use for little ones.

Playdoh is a great quiet activity as well and I've been surprised at how creative Orion can get with his playdoh. He made an actual face the other day and told me it was Mario! You can make your own playdoh or buy it, which I totally do. I also think a few playdoh playsets so your child has the fun cutting tools and what not are invaluable. These sets go on sale regularly and are worth the money for the use you can get out of them. My kids play with it while I clean the kitchen!

Other arts and craft supplies I keep handy are:

-watercolors
-tempura paint (only for when Otto is napping)
-paint dot markers (GREAT for young ones)
-air dry clay (used under supervision and when dry, paint with the tempura paint)
-lots of construction paper (we like to cut out and decorate hearts, eggs, bats, etc for different seasons)
-pipe cleaners (for threading cereal onto...another good older kid activity)
-crayons in a basket...no kids keeps crayons in a box!
-coloring books, which were mostly gifts
-paint smocks!
-an IKEA easel, which I know we will be taking outside this summer for outside art
-a large roll of paper that I can cover the breakfast bar with and the kids both go to town on with any of their art supplies.
-safety scissors
-boxes. We let Orion and Otto decorate many of the large boxes we get from Amazon and the like. Orion likes to make spaceships and pirate ships.

There is so much more to say on this subject, so I am sure I will update again (soon?)

Also, I have pictures to add to this post, but I will get to that tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment