Thursday, November 17, 2016

Yarn Along (A Day Late Again)







Started my first Barley hat for Otto. I have a crazy vision of making us all Barley hats by Christmas, but at the rate I'm able to knit now who knows if that will be accomplished. Orion and Otto will both get theirs for Christmas for certain, but maybe Mike can wait until his birthday...and us girls can have ours somewhere in between? Knitting for Mike is difficult because 1) He is hard on things--he wears out clothes extraordinarily fast & 2) He is sensitive to certain materials and fibers. I made the mistake of knitting him a wool scarf once...never again!! Plus it felted when he washed it :(

I'm working on using up my stash yarns for these hats. If there is a Christmas bonus in our future I hope to start buying some yummy nice yarns from my LYS. I think this yarn is Lion Brand, but most of the other Barleys will be with KnitPicks.

As far as what I am reading...I haven't really started this book yet. I should have read it awhile ago, probably, because I'm in sort of a rough spot with Orion. I need to keep my composure a little better and hopefully this book will provide some good insights and a "pep talk" from someone who has been there.

Not pictured but reading on my Kindle: Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
I'm not super into it, but I've already read many books/listened to lots of podcasts on the topics she covers. Also can't relate to being an "over achiever" or an extrovert. Her revelations seem like common sense to me mostly...although I enjoyed the ruminations on training yourself to pray in a more helpful way. I'm 44% in and while it is a quick read, I don't really have much desire to go on with it.

Until next week! Come back and see if I manage to post on time! :)

As always, feel free to join the Yarn Along fun and visit Ginny's site to see more posts!



3 comments:

  1. I love the barley pattern - the oats cowl pattern that goes along with the hat is also a quick knit and a great stash buster. I also agree with you about "Present Over Perfect" - mostly common sense, not much new. It is well written, though, so I guess that's why it's popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I took a look at the Oats pattern and will probably end up knitting one of those as well...I think I am the only one in my family who will wear one. Next up is a requested red Barley for my four year old :)

      I was surprised by how repetitive I found the book, however. I own her Savor devotional and really love it, but this was the first "real" book of hers I've tried.

      Delete
  2. i have made a total of 45 hats. 2 years ago everyone got one for christmas. i will have to look up this pattern as my cider press is becoming - well lets just say i can knit it with my eyes closed - hehehehe

    i like this and the color!!

    ReplyDelete