Monday, May 5, 2014

What We Ate 4/28-5/4





Meals made last week:

Monday:  Grilled hot dogs with leftover sides from Saturday's cookout (orzo pasta salad, mashed potato, broccoli casserole).

Funny story: I bought the $2 pack of hot dogs for the Saturday cookout in case we didn't have enough chicken, someone didn't like chicken, or the chicken got burnt/some other disaster. The chicken ended up being lovely, but Mike burned the crap out of these hot dogs. Glad we weren't serving them to guests!

Tuesday- Pork Stir fry- I used two packages of ramen noodles (without seasoning packets) and drained as the noodle component in this dinner as a mix up from rice and Mike went nuts over it. I'll admit, I thought it was pretty amazing and delicious too. Who would have guessed?!

I used this Soy Sesame Stir Fry sauce recipe, with a little less sesame oil and a tiny bit more soy sauce. Only thing I wish I had done differently was add more wilted spinach and maybe some broccoli to my veggie mix.

Wednesday- (another) Roast cauliflower served over penne pasta with Parmesan cheese and topped with a fried egg.

This went over EXTREMELY well and was a meal on the fly since I wasn't able to do my grocery shopping until Wednesday night. Mike said, "This is totally not something I would ever have thought to make myself, but it is delicious." The cauliflower was just as tasty as the first time and I already picked up another one at the store because I am not sure I am going to get sick of it soon...

Thursday- Crock pot tortellini meal 

I'm actually a little worried about this one now that it has been in the crock pot for two hours. I saw some not so positive reviews of it on Pinterest after putting it all together. Guess I'll be reporting back if it is a flop or not.

**UPDATE: This meal was capital "t" Terrible. The tortellini were soggy mush and the spinach wilted into some disgusting looking roughage. The sauce tasted okay, but I made the executive decision that the leftovers were just not worth keeping. Yuck! Huge failure**

Friday- Eggs in tomato sauce and fried polenta squares

I had tomatoes left over from something I had to use up. It was good, but I hate making polenta. Such a royal pain. Next time I'll use crusty bread, if I have a choice. Have to use what we have though.

Saturday- We were celebrating Mike's dad's birthday, so I didn't need to cook dinner! There were grilled kebabs and we brought home leftovers. Score!

Sunday- Thai ribs and roasted potatoes.

Finally! The ribs were not as flavorful as we remembered, but still tasty. I thought the potatoes stole the show, however.


No comments:

Post a Comment