Monday, June 16, 2014



I'm tired. I'm uncomfortable. I'm full of complaints, but I'm secretly feeling very happy.

We had a wonderful day yesterday for Father's Day. Took Orion down to the beach and we all sat in the sand and let the waves crash into us while trying to build an utterly pointless wall of sand. I even went out into the water and swam a few seconds. No better place than the lake, so I'm thankful I was able to do that. Orion is a very good boy at the beach. He stays close to us and the only stressful part of taking him is that he always drops his sippy cup in the sand :)

Mike and I think the baby will arrive in the next two weeks sometime. I mostly hope so. I would like not to go over my due date this time and I would also like him to arrive when grandpa is in town, but I don't think I will get lucky enough to get both of those wishes fulfilled.

I'm reading Why Mars and Venus Collide  right now and it is so accurate it is creepy. I've actually laughed out loud at some of the comparisons the author makes because I see them all the time in how stress affects me differently than Mike and vice versa. This, along with Sheet Music, is probably the most helpful relationship book I've ever read. It really helped to clarify a lot of the things I find frustrating about Mike's style of getting things done. For example, men prefer projects instead of routine chores because projects have a clear beginning, middle, and end and they can choose for the most part when to fit a project into their schedule. Completing a project also raises testosterone, which helps him feel accomplished.

Another big part of the book talks about a very real problem women face- expecting their partners to be able to fulfill them emotionally 100%--when back in the day, women used to have a stronger network and sense of community among themselves in order to lessen their stress levels by talking and sharing with other women who communicate in the same style they do (because women feel less stressed when they are nurturing and communicating). Maybe this is why some of us have problems with the internet...we don't have enough real life connections with other women/moms and we crave that connection, so we seek it out through Facebook, Pinterest, etc (that's my hypothesis, they didn't talk about that in the book).

Okay, on to something else!

We taught Orion "poo" and he will let us know when he has gone #2 now. Pretty awesome stuff. He also pointed out the flowers Mike brought me on Friday were "purple" and he loves noticing "trees"! Another sweet moment from the weekend was watching him play with our friends' son. They even gave each other hugs when it was time to leave!

I just wanted to write here really quickly before baby is here. There is really no major point to all of this ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment