Thursday, March 6, 2014
I've decided to really embrace the Lenten season this year. I finally understand the benefits of going without in a way I never did when I was younger. I set some pretty good standards for myself this year, I feel:
Giving up:
-Facebook (I know it's cliche, but I really was using it in an unhealthy way).
-Using more than one cup daily (highly irresponsible...although this is a "one cup + one tea/coffee mug" rule).
-Excess clothes (things that have been given to me that I dislike, things that don't fit, things that I don't wear).
Adding:
-Reading a devotion and Bible verses daily (I've signed up for the She Reads Truth plan and I have the Little Black Book of Lenten devotions from church). I sort of want to add in reading a Psalm every day, but maybe I will save that for after Lent so I don't overwhelm myself.
-Reflecting more on God's love for me. I have a hard time accepting love even in my earthly relationships sometimes and it feels to me if I remind myself of his love for me, even at my worst, it would be beneficial.
We went to Ash Wednesday service last night. I had never been to one before. It was a little chaotic as we had to wrangle Mr. Wiggle Worm the entire time, but we received our ashes and a good message (Orion's ashes looked more like an upside down triangle to me and he prompted rubbed his head against my shirt to remove them). Next year I'll have to remember that there is a soup supper before hand. I had made a quiche for dinner in a panic when I realized we needed to eat before leaving (it was delicious but it would have been convenient to have already been at church to get better seats).
Today we have a play date and it looks like a beautiful, clear day out. I also have an overdue library book to return. I was doing so well! Note to self: no more hiding library books in your dresser drawers. Maybe we will take a quick browse around Target as well, if I'm feeling adventurous.
Thankful today for so many things...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment