Monday, April 7, 2014



Yesterday I lost my entire makeup collection to a curious baby who discovered the joy of throwing things into the toilet, due to one of his parents neglecting to close the bathroom door and him having 2 minutes of time alone unaccounted for...

The funny thing is while I was (am, a tiny bit still, mostly because I don't know how I am to go on without my eyebrow pencil) disappointed, I never felt very angry or upset. The bag contained a few items that were "essential" and actually pretty pricey-- they were Christmas presents. I know they won't be able to be replaced with our budget any time soon. Back to drugstore makeup for awhile or learning to do without (!!!)

I went grocery shopping at Aldi's yesterday afternoon. I always smile at the interesting things they have available there. Ours seems to have a lot of odd Dutch things and I wonder if that is all Aldi's or just influenced by my location? There are two different ones I know of in Holland and next time I may go to the other one just to see what their selection is compared to the one on the northside.

I was disappointed by the produce, which seemed to be pretty rotten, except the kiwis, which were $1.19 for 6, compared to $2.99 for six at Mejier. I am the only kiwi eater in the house, but for a dollar, that is okay. I also bought the same brand of celery Mejier sells for only 59 cents.

I do like their selection and price on cheese and I found some cool all-natural squeeze fruit pouches for Orion at a decent price. A few items I was interested in contained HFCS, so I passed (french toast sticks...bummer). They had whole ducks for $2.50 each! I passed, out of fear, because I've never cooked duck. Mike thinks I should have got it. They do seem to have a small selection of organic and natural foods now, but the price point wasn't cheap enough on most of those yesterday. I did buy more knock-off Wheat Thins as I have an unhealthy obsession with them. I bought their butter too...which looks exactly like Mejier butter once you open the package?! For a dollar cheaper, that is fine with me...

ANYHOW...after church yesterday (which was a trial and kind of a let down because neither of us were able to really get much out of it due to having unexpectedly baby wrangle all service) we came home, ate lunch, and went for a walk. It was wonderful! Mike and I discussed future home plans, I saw some crocuses blooming in a yard, and Orion fell soundly asleep. We put him in his bed when we got back and walked excitedly around the yard we haven't seen in months and months. Lots of little green shoots around the side of my house. I wonder if they are tulips, daffodils, or crocuses?

After dinner, Mike graciously drove us to Culvers so I could indulge in my #1 pregnancy craving of the moment-soft serve! I had a strawberry sundae with vanilla custard. I am ashamed to say that frozen custard/soft serve and Coke have been my predominate cravings this time around thus far, besides my usual need for fruit after the first trimester. Luckily, I have been good with having both as treats and not bringing any two liters or 24 packs into the house. I usually have one or two Cokes on Friday with the fish fry and, man, they are the best thing ever but shhhhhhh...Better or worse than my pork rind craving with O? Debatable.

We were able to watch the Game of Thrones premiere last night after Orion went to sleep. I was pleased with the episode, but wished we got to see Stannis. Was okay with no Bran. It's really cool we could watch it from the comfort of our home and I was really tired by the time it was over.

Well, it's only 8am, but we've been up since 6:30, courtesy of Mike having an early morning. so I am ready to get on with the day. I foresee another walk this afternoon and who knows what else? No makeup shopping I know ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment